Friday, July 6, 2007

San Diego - Day 2

The weather in San Diego was simply gorgeous. Highs in the high 70's the whole time. It was in the 110's here in Phoenix, so we were in heaven. Even though we both grew up in areas where it was humid in the summer, we definitely noticed the humidity in San Diego. As much as I hate to admit it, there really is something to the whole "dry heat" thing.



Sunday was a busy day. Tim had booked us for a harbor cruise in the afternoon and the company that does them also had an option to get discount tickets for the USS Midway - an aircraft carrier museum. We found a coupon in one of the travel guides in our hotel room that got us a 2-for-1 price on the cruise, so it turned out to be a great deal. We got up early and went for dim sum at China Max. The food was good and the service was weird, again. Tim will more than likely post a review on his site (see his site under "Stuff I Read") so I'll let him tell you about it. We did notice, though, that our usual dim sum restaurant here in Phoenix ranks right up there with the rest of the world. It's always nice to know that we're not missing out on anything. As a side note, even in Chinatown in Boston, the dim sum was comparable to what we get here.


After breakfast, we went back to the hotel and got ready for our harbor cruise. We talked to the concierge at the hotel and she said the best way to get down there was to either walk or take a cab. Since the weather was so nice, we decided to walk. We got down to the ticket booth for the cruise and had about a half hour wait before boarding. When our boat docked, we boarded and headed for the top deck where we would have the best view. Let me also say that Tim was very smart and before we left the hotel, he marinated himself in SPF 50. I thought about it, but thought "Eh, I don't need it! I'll just tan - I never burn!" That would come back to bite me in the ass. As I sit here typing, my entire face that two days ago was bright red, is now peeling off. The harbor is the home of the USS Midway, an aircraft carrier that was used in the Korean and Vietnam Wars.





I kept telling Tim that was a "big boat". He keps correcting me and telling me it's a "ship." I just like to annoy him. :)

The harbor is also home to the USS Ronald Reagan, which is another really big boat.






There are a LOT of war ships in that harbor - the general idea we got was that it would be a REALLY bad idea to piss off San Diego.









This is a view of the Coronado Bridge from underneath. The legend is that if you kiss will passing under it, you will have good luck. We could certainly use some, so we had to give it a try. :)



After our two-hour cruise, we decided to have a "San Diego experience" and we took a bicycle cab to Seaport Village. It's a kitschy little tourist area right on the water with all kinds of different shops and eateries. We walked through briefly, but I was fried to a crisp and we were both tired. We walked back to the hotel and relaxed a bit. That night, we went to a Vietnamese restaurant called Saigon on Fifth in the Hillcrest area. It was good food, but once again, I'll let you read Tim's review.

It was a great day and we had fun. In hindsight, I probably would have doused myself in sunblock like Tim. Here's a picture of us on the cruise. The guy who took it was a little older and didn't have a clue how to use a camera. My digital camera is pretty self-explanatory, you hit the button and it takes the picture. Anyway, it turned out well.








See my smart boy, all wearing a hat and not bright red at all? That's me next to him - turning into a damn lobster.

Here's the San Diego skyline. Note the building that looks like a Phillips-head screwdriver at the top. The guy doing the harbor tour was a jokester and he said that the National Helicopter Association recently named that building the most difficult for landing. Haha.





1 comment:

Theresa said...

Hahahaha, Lobster Girl. At least the rest of the cruise was fun. and in regard to an earlier blog (i think) I told you dry heat was better. You can come visit me here in Florida if you need any more proof of that :P Cute little St. Augustine is great for travel and food (and I can show you all the good restaurants) I'm just saying think about it!