Sunday, September 30, 2007

Eating in this weekend

We are on a bit of a tight budget lately. Okay, we've been on one for a long time. It's a little tighter than usual right now because we're going to Maine for Christmas and we're trying to save for presents, hotel room, and rental car. We are also going to Kai for dinner to celebrate our birthdays on December 1. We're really excited about it - it's one of those places we've been talking about for ages, but it's so expensive, we have to really save for it.


So for that reason, we are eating in this weekend. Yesterday, I made scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes and bacon from VonHanson's. It was great. Here's a picture of my plate with some of everything.






Tim actually made the bacon because he's a lot better at it than I am. I tend to get impatient. The way we do bacon is put it on a rack on a cookie sheet. That way, the bacon gets crispy without sitting in its own grease and it doesn't splash grease everywhere like it does when you do it on the stovetop. Tim has figured out the perfect way to do it, which is quite involved with timers and such. :) I whipped the eggs with a little milk and salt and pepper. I used to over-cook them all the time, but I have to say I've gotten really good at getting them just right. They were creamy and fluffy.



We also had some fingerling potatoes left from the bag I bought earlier this week for dinner so I sliced those into discs and added some chopped onion and fried them in a little butter and olive oil. If I'd had any bacon grease, I would have added some of that too, but I didn't. I've started saving it, though, and will probably be using it a lot.



This morning I slept in quite late. That's the best part of Sundays, right? When I woke up, Tim had already started the bacon and was in the process of making pancakes. I like mine with chocolate chips - they were always a special treat from my dad, so I've always listed them among my favorite comfort foods. Tim does a great job of making them, too.


Last night, I made fettuccine alfredo, with a green salad and garlic bread. I forgot to take a picture, though. I made a salad with chopped romaine hearts, mushrooms, corn, and red onion with a little Italian dressing. The fettuccine was made with both Parmigiano Reggiano and Pecorino Romano cheeses to give it a lot of flavor. I always forget, though, how filling it is and I made way too much, which we just ended up just throwing away. I don't know what it is about fettuccine, but I don't like it the next day. We haven't decided what's for dinner tonight yet, but I'm sure I'll put something here about it...

1 comment:

Yankee1969 said...

My "complicated" bacon recipe:
Preheat oven to 350.
I take an old cookie sheet with sides and put a cooling rack into it. I place the bacon in a single layer. Put the sheet into the oven for about 14 minutes. After 14 min, take from oven and using tongs, turn the bacon over. Return to oven and cook for another 14 min or until it's done to your preference. Take out from oven blot the tops of the bacon, flip the strips, and blot the other side.
Eat.
Not complicated at all. :)