Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Where Were You?

When I was cruising through the television schedule this weekend, I saw that one of the news stations is re-broadcasting their 9/11 footage today, exactly as it appeared on that day. I'm glad I am not home because I would feel compelled to watch it.

Where were you when you heard the news? I know you know. It's like knowing where you were when Kennedy was shot, when Elvis died, during OJ's slow-speed police chase, when the Challenger exploded. I was in my car, driving to work. I was listening to the radio and the station I listened to was well-known for joking around and they said that a plane had been flown into one of the towers at the World Trade Center. I remember thinking to myself, "that's not funny. Why are they saying that?" It was like when I thought the news coverage about Princess Diana was a Saturday Night Live news skit. That's not funny - why are they doing that?

I continued on to work and there was a television on in the conference room. Everyone was standing around and watching, and no work was getting done. Our CEO came in and told everyone to get to work and had IT disable the internet connection so we would get some work done. She wasn't exactly a warm fuzzy person. When I got home from work, though, I watched TV all night and couldn't believe what I'd seen. I was with my friend Cheryl and her two kids watching the news and her daughter, about 4 or 5 at the time, asked "mommy, how many times is that plane going to run into the building?" We turned off the TV at that point. They just kept showing it over and over and she didn't understand that it wasn't multiple planes.

A few short months later, my grandma on my dad's side passed away. I think it was those two events, so close to each other, that made me think about moving to another place and trying to start a new life. I realized how short life really is and I wanted to try to make some changes and be happier. I looked into moving to Colorado because I had visited there during high school and fell in love with it. I was at the point of looking for jobs and apartments in Colorado Springs when I decided to move to Phoenix instead. It's hard to believe I've been here for over five years. Sometimes it seems like I've been here forever, and other times, it feels like I just arrived.

I hope everyone takes at least a minute or two today to remember what happened on this day six years ago. I know I have.

1 comment:

Glenna said...

You're right. Everyone remembers exactly where they were, what they were doing, and what they were thinking. I was at home cleaning the house when I heard it and immediately thought of a friend who was attending a work conference in midtown Manhattan. When we FINALLY got through on the phone we found out that she and some co-workers had been getting dressed to go play tourist at the World Trade Centers. The only thing that saved them was that they were behind schedule and hadn't left their hotel yet. Every year, I stop and am thankful for my friend's life at the same time I mourn all the others.