Sunday, October 28, 2007

Dinner Tonight & Meal Plan

I've been in a bit of a funk lately. I've been blue for a couple of weeks now. I blame hormones. Girls, you understand. Today I also had to deal with the "Sunday blues", which happen every now and then, when I realize I have to go to work tomorrow. I really do love my job, but it wears me out and it wears on me. Poor Tim has been walking on eggshells lately because he never knows if I'm going to be my "normal" self (whatever that is), raging bitch or weepy Wendy.

We worked on our meal plan this afternoon and then did our weekly grocery shopping. When we got home, I wanted to try a new recipe, Tyler Florence's smothered pork chops. I made mashed potatoes and scalloped corn for the sides. This was another time when I followed a recipe. Tim has been nagging me about it lately and rather than argue, I have started to try harder to follow recipes rather than just throw things in a pan and see what happens. Well, they didn't turn out all that great. I think our stovetop is hot, because I had it on medium the way the recipe read, but they still had a burnt taste. I could tell they were a good piece of meat (which we expect from Von Hanson's), and I could tell that if the sauce hadn't had the burnt flavor, it would have been really good too. I am definitely going to try the recipe again, but I'll cook them on medium low instead of medium. This has happened to me before, so I'm wondering if our stove is just hotter than I expect. Tonight was the third time since we've lived here I've set off the smoke alarms. Oops. :) The potatoes were mashed with my Plugra and the scalloped corn was great. I was bummed about the chops, though, and I always feel really bad when dinner doesn't turn out great like I hope it will. I feel like I have to apologize to poor Tim, even though he's always really nice about it.

As for the coming week, here's what we've decided:

Monday: Balsamic chicken & rice
Tuesday: Garlic Cheddar Chicken & roasted truffled potatoes
Wednesday: Turkey & mashed potatoes
Thursday: Leftovers
Friday: Going Out

I've decided that on Fridays, we can go out to eat. We've been working very hard at eating at home lately, and we've done well, but on Fridays, we can splurge a little. We're not talking $150 meals or anything, but maybe some Thai food or something would be okay.

Well, my horribly messy kitchen is calling out to me and I'm going to have to drag Tim away from the Red Sox game to help me with dishes.

1 comment:

Yankee1969 said...

The Sox are won the World Series. I rarely watch sports on TV outside of my Formula One races, so when the Sox are in the Series or the Patriots are kicking major ass, I think I can get cut some slack. :) I stuck with the Sox and Patriots after their late-80's fiascos, so I enjoy their current successes all the more. :)