Friday, October 19, 2007

Friday Dinner

Tonight was the night of roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and corn. Here are pictures of the corn and potatoes:





The corn was started by melting Plugra with some roasted garlic oil. When the oil was hot, I added some diced onion. Once they were translucent, I added some frozen corn, along with some salt and pepper.

The potatoes were mashed with some chopped garlic that had been heated in some heavy cream and Plugra. Delicious.

Where's the chicken, you ask? Well, there was a small mishap. Tim is in charge of all poultry around here because every time I've been near the turkey, it hasn't turned out as well. There are a million things I can cook, but for some reason, turkeys and chickens are hard for me. Well, it wasn't his night tonight. He cooked the bird upside down first, and because he put the probe thermometer in the thigh instead of the breast, we took it out of the oven way too soon. So after letting it rest for 15 minutes, we cut into it, somewhat surprised to see dark meat. Then we flipped it over and cut into the breast. Still partially raw. We put the thermometer into the white meat and it showed 140. Not 163 like we were hoping for. Oops.

By the way, you've probably noticed I haven't figured out the whole taking-pictures-of-food thing. I really need to learn how to use my camera.

Update: About 45 minutes after I finished posting this, the chicken was done cooking for the second time. It turned out pretty tasty, although a bit dry because we had already cut into it. Good thing we can eat the little chicken tonight and give it another try. I'll let you know how it goes! Luckily we have about 2 pounds of mashed potatoes left!

I am also going to try and make stock with the chicken carcasses. I've never done it before. I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

Geggie said...

so what happened with the chickens? Did you finish cooking them? chicken salad maybe? or shredded chix tacos?

Carrie said...

Hey, if you don't cook chicken well, try putting a frozen one in a crock-pot all day. Just add some salt and pepper and it turns out really tasty and juicy!

Yankee1969 said...

The chicken we cooked last night didn't come out great. I'd carved it up a bit so when we realized it was still kinda raw, we put it back into the oven. It took a couple more hours to finish cooking and by that time, the slices had caused it to dry out quite a bit. On the plus side, Tara has lots of chicken carcasses to make stock with. :)
I just put the smaller bird into the oven tonight. We'll let you know how mini-bird comes out.