Sunday, October 14, 2007

Lots of Stuff....

My good friend L and her boyfriend M came into town this weekend. M works at Google out in Mountain View, so they moved out there a little over a year ago. I was talking to L a couple weeks ago and she mentioned they were coming home to see their families and walk for Susan G. Komen. I was going to walk, too, but it was just so darn early in the morning for a Sunday! Instead, I donated money and let everyone else do the walking. They arrived in town Friday afternoon and we met them for dinner Friday night. Well, them, us, a few of her friends and their husbands/significant others & kids, and her parents and his parents. We went to Macayo's. This is a place I don't really enjoy, but as her family doesn't exactly have the most adventurous palates, and it was a central location, that's where they wanted to meet. I don't like Mexican food. Our friend from Chowhound, winedubar, had sent us an email earlier in the day saying "in the name of all that is good, do NOT go to Macayo's! Going to Macayo's becuase you like Mexican food is like going to Denny's becuase you like dinner!" Well, we weren't really there for the food, but rather, to see friends. Good thing we had low expectations to begin with, because it just wasn't very good.

Friday night L and M stayed at our house. After dinner, we came back to our house and sat and talked for quite a while. L and M are young, but Tim and Tara are WAAAAYYYY too told to be staying up until 1:00 am! Saturday we slept in and headed to breakfast at Harlow's in Tempe, which is one of our favorites. After breakfast, L and M left and I took a nap. Tim went car shopping, though, but after our last disasters, I opted to stay home. Tim didn't end up getting a new car, but he's still talking about it, and we'll see what happens. He's really upside down on his car right now, so that's going to make it difficult. I needed to go into work, but decided to nap instead. Tough decision. :)

Saturday night we decided to try Yupha's Thai in Tempe. Seth had been there recently, and there was an appetizer that sounded great to me. We arrived around 7:30 pm and the place was hopping. All but one table was full so we got that one. We studied the huge menu for a while and made our decisions. The first thing we ordered was the Little Mermaids. This is a shrimp wrapped in bacon, wrapped in an egg roll wrapper and deep fried. These are served with some sweet and sour sauce. They were great. Really, my only complaint was that the bacon didn't seem cooked enough to me. I would have like to have seen the bacon cooked less than halfway before being wrapped around the shrimp and fried. They tasted great, though. The bacon was definitely the star of the show (to me, this is always true), and the sweet and sour sauce just kind of brought it all together. Tim also ordered some Tom Kha Kai soup. After the disaster at Thai Hut, he deserved a good bowl of soup. When it came out, we were both excited to see it's wasn't pure white. Tim seemed to enjoy it and I had a sip, too. It wasn't as good as Osha Thai's Tom Kha Kai, but still good. Tom Kha Kai has a very complex mix of flavors - sour, sweet, tangy, salty. The soup at Osha is very, very smooth, and you taste all of the flavors at the same time. The soup at Yupha's was also very good, but had a bit more heat, which seemed to overpower the rest of the flavors at times. I felt like it wasn't as smooth and that I tasted all of the flavors in stages. For my entree, I ordered Pra Ram and Tim had Drunken Noodles. My Pra Ram was sauteed chicken on a bed of steamed spinach with peanut sauce. It was great. The peanut sauce was tangy and sweet, and tasted great. Tim loved his Drunken Noodles, too. They were quite spicy, so I only had a little taste. For dessert, we had sticky rice for me and Thai custard for me. They were both okay. Osha's versions were better, though.

When we got home from dinner, we were supposed to watch Knocked Up together, but Tim wanted to finish watching the Red Sox game, which ended up going into extra innings, so I went to bed and he stayed up.

Tim is on call this week, so he's been sleeping in the spare bedroom. He needs to have his pager and computer with him all the time, and if I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of the pager, I would be quite unhappy. This morning, I woke up around 9:45 (shocking early for me) and lounged in bed for a while. Around noon, I started to get hungry so I went to the kitchen and started making breakfast. We had defrosted a pound of bacon, so I made a few slices of that, along with some home fries with onion and scrambled eggs. Tim woke up when I was about halfway done cooking. We had just barely finished eating when his pager went off, so he headed off to the bedroom to take care of it. About a half hour later, I could hear snores coming from the room, so I wanted to let him sleep. He never sleeps very well when he's on call and he tends to stress about it, so I knew he needed his sleep. I decided to head to work for a few hours today while he napped, so I went in for about 3 hours and got some stuff done.

In all, a great weekend. Even though I know L doesn't read my blog, it was great to see her. M reads it all the time, so give her a big hug for me and I hope you guys can come and have Thanksgiving with us so we don't end up with enough food for 8 days of leftovers! Love you and miss you guys!

1 comment:

Yankee1969 said...

Yupha's was very good. The interior is kinda cool and gives it a bit of an upscale feel compared to most other Thai places. The custard was good, but they serve their's cold, while Osha's is served hot. Just different presentations, but apparently I prefer mine hot. Still, it was really good and a generous portion as well. I'd rate Yupha's as being in our top three Thai spots, if not second after Osha. I like that their menus is very extensive. I'm sure if it closer, we'd probably go quite often. We just always have a great time at Osha and the servers know us at this point, so that adds a lot. Plus their tom kha kai is my absolute favorite. :)