Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Making Stock

Something I've always wanted to do is make chicken stock. I've always imagined it to be difficult or time-consuming, and knowing my lack of patience, I assumed it was something that was beyond me. However, today I have given it a try. I took both of the carcasses out of the fridge, pulled off all of the meat, and put the bones into a big pot with onion, carrots, celery, rosemary, thyme, sage, bay leaves and peppercorns. I really had no idea what to put in there, so I just put a bunch of stuff from the fridge in the pot, covered it with water, and have been simmering it for about two hours now, and it smells heavenly. I figure I'll let it go another couple of hours and strain and store it.

I used my pasta pot for it - that way I can lift out the colander part of it and take care of most of the "chunks". I figure I'll use the mesh strainer and cheesecloth for the rest of it.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

No comments: