Friday, October 19, 2007

Updates

Well, we had our long-awaited dinner at Pizzeria Bianco Wednesday night. Was it the best pizza in America? Probably not. Was is very good pizza? Probably. Would I go and wait in line for two hours for this pizza? No. I don't think I'm the right person to ask these questions, though - I'm not really a fan of pizza. Generally, I can tolerate pizza about once every other month. Just not my favorite. Most of my friends think I should be dragged out in the street and tarred and feathered for not liking pizza, but I am who I am. :) That said, I will let you skip on over to Tim's blog to read about the rest of the experience. It was great to meet everyone and a good time was had by all.

Last night was a night at home. We grilled up some hot dogs from VonHanson's and had some potato salad. We also started brining our chicken. Wednesday before we left for the pizza place, Tim prepared Alton Brown's brine recipe and we allowed it to cool over night. Last night, we rinsed the chickens (more than one chicken? More on that later) and put them in the brine for the night. Tonight Tim will be roasting them and I'll be making the rest. I know I'm doing mashed potatoes for sure, and possibly the scalloped corn I made a couple weeks ago. I'm excited to try the mashed potatoes with my Plugra, which I first read on The Home Cook's Blog. Tim and I had some on bread with our dinner a couple of nights ago and Tim said he could taste a difference, but couldn't really define the difference. I did too, but it was just different. It smells a little strange to me - not bad, it's just that I can tell it doesn't smell like the butter we usually get.

I'm going to try my hand at taking pictures again tonight and see if I can't get something good on the chickens. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention?

Tim went to Hobe Meats yesterday to pick up a fresh chicken (we never use frozen bird). They gave him a 3-lb. bird. Um, hello? If you know me, you know I can eat that all by myself! So he went to Albertson's last night and bought a second chicken. This way we can also compare the two - grocery store vs. butcher. I'll post later with an update of dinner and how things turned out!

No comments: