Saturday, October 27, 2007

Updates

My menu plan didn't work out so well at the end of last week. I worked late both Wednesday and Thursday nights so I was really tired. Thursday turned into "leftovers" and Friday was dinner at Osha Thai. We're pinching pennies lately, but we hadn't been out to eat in over a week, which is unusual for us, so after crunching the numbers in about 15 different ways, I decided we deserved a treat.

We also went to Welcome Diner for lunch today. It's a great little hot dog/hamburger joint that is crazy good and VERY affordable. It's in an old mobile home-type building with a counter and 9 stools and some seating outside. Despite some unseasonably warm temperatures (today's high was in the upper 90s), we sat outside and enjoyed our meal.

The chicken stock is in jars and freezing. I haven't had a chance to use any yet, but I will tomorrow night when I make smothered pork chops. We went to Von Hanson's and Phoenix Ranch Market to stock up on some meat for the freezer today, and the pork chops at Von Hanson's looked great, so we picked up a couple. We also got our usual two pounds of the best bacon in the city, some bratwurst for Tim, and some maple sausage. We got some ground beef and a ribeye at Phoenix Ranch Market.

Tomorrow's breakfast is a fritatta. I've never made one, but it's basically eggs with some stuff put in. In checking out our refrigerator, I'm thinking ours will have some maple sausage, red bell pepper, onion, chives, mushrooms, and maybe some other stuff. It's known as a "refrigerator cleaner" breakfast. I'll also make some bacon and maybe some hashbrowns to go along with it. I wish we had some good fruit in the house, but it's so difficult to find good, fresh fruit in Phoenix right now.

I'm still working on next week's menu plan, so I'll post more later. I need to take into account the fact that I'm completely exhausted from work toward the end of the week and to make concessions for that.

We have a client right now who is buying his first home. He also owns a very cool little coffee shop off Glendale Ave & 7th St., Unlimited Coffee. We stopped there today to check it out because he had also told me that his business partner makes their gelato on-site. So we each had a small bowl of gelato, and it was great. Very, very rich. It also has some dairy in it, and since I am lactose-intolerant, it has made me feel a little queasy the rest of the day. I had planned to make pork chops for dinner tonight, but instead, I'm sipping some soda and laying in bed waiting for my stomach to stop churning. It was worth it, but I'm reminded why I rarely eat ice cream and gelato and why I NEVER drink milk.

3 comments:

silverbear said...

Coffee Unlimited is my neighborhood coffee house. Since my wife and I don't drink much coffee, the wonderful gelato has made the place much more attractive for us. It's our usual place for dessert after dinner at Super Dragon, which is a mile directly north of Coffee Unlimited.

Yankee1969 said...

I had the chocolate hazelnut and Tara had the Sedona Red Rock Chocolate. I love chocolate, but the SRRC seemed to have too much or too dark of a chocolate taste for me. Tara is a fan of dark, so it was perfect for her. The hazelnut had great flavor so was happy. I had this overpowering urge to order a pizza though. The building just screamed "Pizza Hut" to me. I do like the multiple couches and free wifi. Nearly all the gelato flavors looked good and it was hard deciding.

Geggie said...

I had no idea they made gelato, I'll have to check it out when I'm in town for Christmas since I'll be staying just a mile from there.