Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving Prep

The preparation for the big day has begun in earnest. Tim made the brine and did a practice run with the sweet potatoes. We got them for a steal and we were both kind of wondering if they were any good. The jury is still out. I don't eat them, and Tim hasn't decided if they're good or not.
Last night, I made cornbread and cut it up, along with a loaf of french bread for the stuffing, which is now drying.
Tonight I made an apple crisp. It's not very pretty right now, but I'll take a picture once I've plated it with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.

I also made my first pumpkin pie. I've never made one, but Tim and L both like pumpkin pie, so naturally, I had to make it! That hole you see near the middle? That's where I stuck the knife to see if it was done.


Tomorrow night we're going to finish cleaning the house and I'm going to work on my veggies/meats/cheeses. I may also start the mashed potato process since the potatoes get boiled and mashed and then baked. I'm using the Pioneer Woman's recipe, which looks absolutely amazing. If you haven't seen her site, hop over there and give it a look. Her non-food site is pretty great too. She takes tons of great pictures and her recipes are simple and delicious. She's hilarious, too. Her butternut squash recipe cracks me up. If you read it, you'll see what I mean.

More to come...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy to me... set some extra place settings at the table for Mom and Dad!! Wouldn't you be shocked if we actually showed up!! :)