Saturday, December 29, 2007

Christmas in Maine, Part 3

Christmas day was a busy one in Maine. It started very early in the morning. Tim's family tradition for Christmas is presents and breakfast that morning. We were asked to be there at 7:30 to partake in the festivities. The middle of the night on vacation by our standards, but a strange thing happens when one is in Maine. Time seems to get warped there. We were up early every morning, ready for dinner at 4:00 and ready for bed at 7:00. It's like we turn into senior citizens when we go there. I'm really not sure what that's all about.

On our way to his parent's house, we drove by a Walgreens that I noted was going to be open from 9-6 that day, and I knew that was going to save me. I was pretty sick by then. My throat felt like it had razor blades in it, I couldn't breathe, I was coughing, and all around, pretty miserable.

We got there and the orgy of presents began. Tim's sister and the boys loved the marshmallow guns we got them, and it was a great day. I got Tim this and this. Nothing special, but they were things I knew he wanted. There is one more thing, but I knew we wouldn't be able to bring it home in our suitcases, so I haven't given it to him yet. I'll tell you about it later. :)

I got something very special from Tim. I got a ring. It's not an engagement ring, as he was quick to point out, but it's a very, very special ring. His parents have a quarry on their property and many years ago, they found a great deal of tourmaline. Tim thought the tourmaline was all gone - given to family and friends, or sold. It turns out, they had a few left and I got one. His mom, dad, and sister helped pick out the setting and it's gorgeous. It's a little piece of his home. :)

Breakfast was also a family tradition - French toast, citrus salad, bacon, and lots of coffee and tea. Tim's dad received some Korean ginseng tea from someone as a gift and Tim really liked it. Charlie, in case you're wondering, it was Tim who stole about 10 packs of it out of your box!

After breakfast, we headed to Walgreens to get some DayQuil, cough drops, and cough syrup. Lucky, lucky me. When we got back to the hotel, I zonked out for a couple of hours. Then, it was time for Christmas with the family, round 2. This one was at his sister's house. We had a great time there. The entire family, except Grampy, was there - aunts, uncles, cousins. Grampy had a mishap a couple of weeks ago and he is recovering in a rehab center. There was the "yankee swap" or "white elephant" gift exchange, which was pretty funny, and then a new game his sister did. She wrapped up a present and everyone had to put on oven mitts and try to open it. Imagine the most duct tape you've ever seen in your life. There was a giant box with about six or seven duct taped boxes inside. It was a lot of fun watching everyone trying to get into the boxes.

Dinner was terrific. Jen really did a great job. She had marinated one beef tenderloin and just grilled the second. We had twice-baked potatoes, peas, mushrooms, baked onions, glazed carrots and pea pods, baby spinach salad with strawberries, and I'm sure more stuff I can't even remember. Dessert was mini-cheesecakes, lemon pound cake, brownies, and ice cream. In all, a great night.

After dinner, we went over to Tim's aunt and uncle's house to watch the Bourne Ultimatum on their new HDTV. By the time we left, I was pretty sure the cold or whatever was going to kill me. We headed to the hotel and passed out. It was a great Christmas - just the way it should be with family, friends, lots of food, and fun.

1 comment:

L-L-L-Leslie said...

We only like puffs without lotion too! They are equally as hard to find in CA, if that makes you feel any better.