Sunday, December 9, 2007

Ouch

The mortgage industry tends to attract people who drink a LOT. Think young loan officers who are great in sales and have WAY too much money.

Friday night was the night of our very, very, very lame office holiday party. I've worked for this company for a while and Tim and I have been to two of them. They were always at the Biltmore Resort and involved appetizers, drinks, dinner, and dancing. Sounds fun, but it really isn't, unless you're a total drunk. Most people leave work by 3:00 the day of the party and start drinking and by the time the party starts at 7:00, they're already in a pretty good place. This year, they changed things up and decided to hold it at the Wrigley Mansion instead and it was just drinks and appetizers. As you may or may not know, the mortgage industry is in a bit of disarray lately and I'm sure our company was trying to save some money.

Instead of going to the party, I decided I wanted to have my co-worker D and her husband J over for dinner. I made Giada's pancetta-wrapped pork roast, the Pioneer Woman's mashed potatoes and rolls and my version of succotash for dinner. D brought a chocolate trifle for dessert. We also had a simple cheese and cracker tray for appetizers. It was a very fun night and it was a terrific meal. The pork was cooked perfectly and was moist and flavorful. The Pioneer Woman never disappoints, so the rolls and potatoes were great too. My version of succotash was also very good and very colorful. The recipe is below, although I change it every time I make it.

Here's the "ouch" part. We were eating dinner and chatting and I bit into a piece of pork. I think I bit into a stem from some thyme and ended up breaking my tooth. I heard a VERY loud crunching noise and felt an awful lot of pain. I wasn't able to eat a lot of dinner after that.

About four years ago, I had to have a root canal and a crown on one of my teeth. Somehow, the root canal was done wrong and I ended up having to have the tooth pulled almost two years ago. At the time, I didn't have dental insurance, so I wasn't able to get an implant to replace it, so I have a hole on that side of my mouth. The tooth I broke Friday was on the other side of my mouth. Naturally.

Tara's Succotash

1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Medium Onion, chopped
1 Zucchini, cubed
1 Summer Squash, cubed
1 Bag Frozen Corn
2 Tbsp. butter (or more)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and bell peppers and cook until translucent, seasoning to taste. Add zucchini, squash and corn. Cook until zucchini and squash are soft and corn is warmed through.

I use lots of butter. It just tastes best that way. But then again, I love butter with everything. I make this differently every time. I know traditional succotash has lima beans, but I don't like them, so I generally don't add beans. You can really add anything you want, though. I just love how sweet the corn makes it.

2 comments:

Geggie said...

Good luck with the tooth...that stinks during the holidays!

Tara said...

Thanks, geg! I'm thinking it might be a great way to diet during the holidays. It hurts my mouth when I eat, so I just won't!