Thursday, January 3, 2008

Sesame Chicken


We really like the sesame chicken at Super Dragon, our favorite Phoenix Chinese restaurant. I ran across a recipe on Amber's Delectable Delights, made a few adjustments, and it came out great. The picture above is actually the picture she posted. I forgot to take a picture in my rush - I was STARVING last night when I got home from work. Her recipe can be found here.

Here is my revised recipe:

Mix the following in a large Ziploc plastic bag:
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. Chinese 5-spice powder
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds (toast them yourself. I know it's an extra step, but it really brings out the sesame flavor and it's totally worth it)
Few grinds of black pepper

Cut 2 chicken breasts into 1-inch chunks
Add chicken to bag and make sure every piece is coated. Shake off excess flour.

Saute chicken in peanut oil until cooked through and golden brown

While chicken is cooking, mix the sauce:

4 tbsp. teriyaki sauce
2 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. sesame oil

When the chicken is cooked, drain any extra oil, then add the sauce. When the sauce has thickened, it's done. We had ours with jasmine rice.

This is the second time I've made it. The first time I followed her recipe exactly, but it was way too sweet for me. Tim loves sweet, but I'm definitely a savory gal. I cut the amount of honey and added soy sauce to balance it a bit. It was still pretty sweet, but it was a good balance. We will definitely made this again, and I'll probably add some vegetables. I think some carrots, onions, and broccoli would make this a great meal, and they're things we usually have on hand.

2 comments:

Geggie said...

Oh...tasty! I love Super Dragon, sadly not one of the places I got to visit on my trip to Phoenix.

L-L-L-Leslie said...

Just had this for dinner! Thanx for the recipe! We used 3 tbsp honey. We like it sweet.