Thursday, January 24, 2008

Some Sort of Explanation....

I suppose I should explain myself on the whole job hunting thing.

Everyone knows the economy sucks right now, right? Well, did you know that the mortgage industry is evil and we are the single cause of the current state of the economy? Dishonest, scheming, evil mortgage brokers are out to get everyone and the poor, innocent homeowners who didn't bother to read their own paperwork were victimized. Now, I'm not saying there aren't jerk-off mortgage brokers out there who preyed on naive homeowners - I know at least a couple of them personally. I'm just saying that homeowners also have a responsibility to make sure they understand their loan product and that it works for them. And if you took an adjustable rate two years ago because owning a $500,000 house with a $400 payment for a year sounded like a good idea and now your payment is now going up to $3000, well, you knew it was going to be a gamble. There are no guarantees that your property is going to continue to increase in value and you'll be able to refi your way out of it. You know how many people I talk to every day who did an interest-only ARM who now owe more on their house than it's worth and they can't even sell it? Or how many people bought their house six month ago and now it's worth $50,000 less? And that's if they're lucky.

Sorry, jumping down off my soapbox for now. Really, I could go on and on.

Anyway, because the mortgage business is tough right now, my company is cutting my salary. A lot. A LOT. Since I'm an admin assistant with 15 years of experience and NOT a mortgage person, I'm getting out of the business. I've worked in insurance, healthcare, financial services, retail, banking and several other industries. I'm lucky that I can work in any industry. Some of my friends in the mortgage business aren't as lucky and have to stay in the business because that's their business. I really enjoy the mortgage business and maybe in a couple years I'll try to get back in it, but for right now, does anyone know of any jobs??? :)

No comments: