Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Philosophical Question

Yesterday as I was driving to work, I was listening to my usual morning show and they were talking about an article one of them had read in a magazine. Yes, I know, what did we ever know about anything before trashy magazines?


Anyway, it was this survey they had done. I'll be honest and say I don't remember which magazine, how many people they surveyed or the results of the survey. What I do remember is the question that was posed.

If someone were to walk up to you today and offer you $20 million cash, but you would die at the age of 55, would you take the money?

This is a question I've pondered for the past two days. I talked to Tim about it last night and we both think we'd take the money. We're in a different situation from a lot of people, though, because we don't have families of our own. If I had kids, I would probably feel differently. On the one hand, $20 million would probably secure a pretty good future for the family. On the other hand, if I stop to think about, say, my dad, I'm certain I'd rather have him around than the money. And on yet a third hand, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow and never make it to 55, with or without the money.

I have 22 years until I turn 55. I have a feeling I could spend almost $1 million a year until then and lead a pretty great life. Tim agrees with me. Do you think peoples' answers to this question says anything about who they are? Are we bad people because we'd take the money?

What are your thoughts? Would you take the money? Or if it's not enough money, what's the over/under number? Of it 55 isn't old enough, what's that over/under number? I'd love to hear what you think.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

It's certainly an interesting question...I think that as tempting as it would be, I'd turn it down. Not JUST because of the die-at-a-certain-age requirement, but because I'd be afraid of what that kind of money might make me into. I'd dread people begging me for money, and like you said, a bus could kill me tomorrow!

Plus, being one that does have two kids, I'd rather be around longer to enjoy them and my grandkids.

Geggie said...

I think I'd turn the money down. Yessiry, Bob. None for me thanks.