Thursday, May 8, 2008

Skillet Chicken with Rice and Peas

The first food blog I ever read was Seth's. His is obviously one of my favorite ones, especially since we're now friends with him and have done a few reviews with him. His site had a link to The Home Cook's site, as well. I'd have to say her site is probably my second favorite. Whenever I see her site in bold with new posts in my Google Reader, it's always the first one I click on. I love reading her recipes and looking at her pictures. There are millions of food blogs out there and a lot of them are very elaborate with tons of pictures. Mine isn't one of them. I don't know enough technology stuff to make my blog elaborate and I take awful, terrible pictures of food. Really, truly bad pictures. This really isn't a food blog, either - it's a blog about my life and I like to cook, so I throw some food stuff on here every now and then.

Every Sunday, Tim and I do the weekly grocery shopping. Before we make out our list, I usually look through my Google Reader starred items to see if anything inspires me. This recipe has been on my radar for a while, but I hadn't gotten around to making it. I was a bit tired after work last night and wanted something that came together easily and wouldn't produce a ton of dishes to wash up. This totally fit the bill, plus we had almost everything already. Tim went to the gym last night and I had him pick up some lemons and an onion (we're never out of onions, it was a weird moment).

This was delicious. You can almost never go wrong with America's Test Kitchen, and this recipe was just great. I loved every single bite of it. The lemon added just a little freshness that made the rest of the flavors pop. I didn't take a picture because of the whole bad pictures thing (see above) and because our plates are ugly and we don't have good lighting, and well, I was really hungry! I'll give you this link, though, so you can check out The Home Cook's picture.

The recipe is below. I will be making this again and again and again. I left out the scallions because Tim doesn't really like them. I also only had about 3 1/2 cups of chicken stock, so I had to add about a cup of beef stock. Chicken stock is also something we never run out of. It's been weird around the house lately.

Skillet Chicken and Rice with Peas and Scallion Recipe
from America's Test Kitchen

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, minced
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
1/2 cup dry white wine (vermouth)
4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas
5 scallions, sliced thin
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in flour to coat and shake off any excess. Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown the chicken well on one side, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.

2. Off the heat, add the butter to the skillet, and swirl to melt. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and return to medium-high heat until softened, 2 to 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the rice thoroughly and let toast for about 30 seconds.

3. Stir in the wine and let the rice absorb it completely, about 1 minute. Stir in the broth, scraping up any browned bits. Nestle the chicken into the rice, browned side facing up, including any accumulated juices. Cover and cook over medium heat until the thickest part of the chicken registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 10 minutes.

4. Transfer the chicken to a clean plate. Gently brush off and discard any rice clinging to the chicken, then tent the chicken with foil and set aside. Return the skillet of rice to medium-low heat, cover, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, 8 to 12 minutes longer.5. Off the heat, sprinkle the peas over the rice, cover, and let warm through, about 2 minutes. Add the scallions and lemon juice to the rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with the chicken and lemon wedges.

2 comments:

Glenna said...

Yum! I love peas and rice together. I don't know what it is...but it's yummy!

The Home Cook said...

Thank you, Tara! I'm honored that you like my site so much. Really, when I started blogging almost two years ago (wow, has it really been that long!?) I never thought I'd have any readers other then my friends and family. :)

I'm so glad you liked this dish. One-pot meals are fantastic!