Friday, July 25, 2008

Happy Anniversary!

I have a confession to make. Tim and I met on the internet. On a dating site, of all things. Yup, I admit it. I used to be embarrassed to tell people that, but it’s so common now, that everyone I tell either met their boy/girlfriend online or knows someone who did. Let’s face it – once you get to a certain point in your life, it’s hard to meet people. I had moved to Arizona in 2002 for another guy and after we ended our relationship, I had no idea how to meet other people. I worked in the office from hell with a bunch of jerks, so I knew that wasn’t the way to go about it. At the encouragement from a friend, I joined match.com and Yahoo Personals. I met Tim through Match, I think. We were both on both sites, so I can’t remember the specifics.

Our first date was four years ago today. We went out for sushi and to a movie. Sushi was at Blue Wasabi, a sushi bar in north Scottsdale that was running a deal at the time where if you wore blue on Sundays, you got 50% off your bill (and their wasabi really is blue). The restaurant was fairly new at the time and we loved it. In fact, we went every single Sunday for at least a few months. After a while, though, we started to realize that it was becoming a major asshole hangout and it came to the point where I didn’t want to go anymore. Plus, I got a bit sushi-ed out. I like it, but every week for a few months was a bit much. Tim, on the other hand, could eat sushi three meals a day every day.

After dinner, we went to see a movie and I learned that Tim is the kind of person to laugh out loud at movies, like me. After the movie, we walked out to my car and he said “well, I don’t know when I’ll be able to see ya again. See ya around.” Gee, thanks. In his defense, he was working weird hours at the time and they were the exact opposite of mine, so I knew what he was talking about. I got in my car and called my friend L and told her the date was a disaster and a waste of time and the guy didn’t even like me. And then I turned the wrong way down a one-way street and hung up. A week later, we went out again. And as they say, the rest was history.

After four years, I still think I’m a pretty lucky girl. He’s so easygoing, he lets me be the bossy control-freak I am. :) We do joke all the time that we’d make a terrible eHarmony commercial because we are definitely not compatible. I love country music and he hates it. Ditto Everybody Loves Raymond. He loves sci-fi and I hate it (it’s that whole suspension of disbelief thing). Same with Formula One. I’m a workaholic of the very worst kind and he’s not at all. I have an unhealthy obsession with being on time (which means early) for everything and he tends to be of the fashionably-late mindset. He’s laidback and I’m definitely a Type A. For whatever reason, though, it works.

So here’s to four good years. Love you, honey!


5 comments:

Carrie said...

Congratulations! I hope Tim takes you out for a nice dinner tonight to celebrate!

jen said...

Congratuations! I wish you both many many many more happy years to come.

Andy said...

Congratulations to the both of you!

Tara said...

Thanks, everyone!

Yankee1969 said...

Anniversary dinner at Hana (7th Ave/Missouri, not UH one). Yum. Hana roll (Tara's favorite), Rainbow roll (my roll), California roll, unagi (for me), and ebi tempura app. Great dinner. Appropriate, since our first was at a sushi place, although that Blue Wasabi location has now closed. After dinner we roamed Wal-Mart for no particular reason. We had a ton of fun making fun of a Yellow M&M man cake. I'm trying to get the picture off my phone and onto my blog. It's being stubborn. Good thing I don't support mobile devices for a living. Oh, wait...