Monday, August 25, 2008

Enough, Already

When I lived in Minnesota, March was my least favorite month of the year. By the end of March, it had been cold for literally six months. March was also the snowiest month of the year. It was enough already. That's how I feel about August in Phoenix. It's the end of August (can you believe how fast this year is flying by?) and it's enough with the heat already. I believe we've had a record number of days over 110 already (don't quote me, I 'm guessing based on something I read a while back), and it's enough. I know this will all be over in a month or so, but sheesh.

I have officially been in Arizona for six years now. I moved here in August 2002. When I think back now, it's amazing to me how much I've grown and changed since then. I don't even recognize the girl who moved here. What I remember very clearly, though, is the car ride to Arizona. I got to my new apartment, got out of the car in the 115 degree heat and said "my God, what have I done?" Everyone told me that by the third summer, I'd "get used to it". That's like saying you can "get used to" the cold in Minnesota - you don't get used to it, you get used to dealing with it. Big difference. Well, I rolled my eyes and said "yeah right" and then sat in front of the air conditioner for three years. Here we are, six years later, and I'm chilly when it gets below 75. I can honestly say I've learned how to handle the heat.

I'm still sick of it, though. Enough already.

6 comments:

kat said...

Not to rub it in or anything but it is beautiful in MN right now! No humidity & upper 70's everyday....

Krista said...

I found your blog from Feasting in Phoenix. As another former Minnesotan I have to say AMEN to your post! My brother and sister were just at the fair and had all the milk you can drink for a dollar. (wistful sigh)

Tara said...

Hi, welcome to my blog, Kat & Krista!

Kat, I heard it's been gorgeous there! Don't worry, though - we get our revenge in the winter!

Krista, Don't you just love Feasting? I am absolutely PINING for the fair right now! I so miss the Tom Thumb mini-donuts, cheese curds, corn on the cob, pork chop on a stick, brownies, fried pickles, milkshakes from the dairy building... Sigh... Where are you from in MN?

Krista said...

I was born and raised in St. Paul. :) Graduated from Central HS, Class of 94. Went to college in Ohio, lived in Portland, OR for 7 years and then moved here in Jan of 2005.

I couldn't believe that they don't sell apple fritters at the fair anymore! How are you supposed to properly enjoy the log rolling without some apple fritters that drip cinnamon sugar all over your front?? I also miss the turkey on a stick... those are yummy...

Glenna said...

LOL! Loved the line "sat in front of the air conditioner for 3 years". That was classic!

Happy Arizona anniversary!

Tara said...

Krista, you're making me pine for the fair even more!