Wednesday, August 6, 2008

For Jen

Have you been sitting on the edge of your chair, wondering how my new job is going? I'm sure you have. After all, it's all about ME, is it not? :)

It's going pretty well. I am struggling to learn a new industry, which has been frustrating for me. If I had gone to another mortgage company, I would have at least had a clue. Obviously everybody and every company does things differently, but if someone asked for a 4506-T, at least I would know what it looks like and where to get it. This is all new territory for me and it's a little scary. I hate the learning period - I want to be able to just walk into the job and know how to do everything. Unfortunately, 99% of the world needs at least some training before being able to be 100% effective at their job, so I know I'm being unreasonable. (Some people are never 100% effective - believe me, I know.) I was telling Tim last night that I wish it were like four months from now. By then, I'll know what I'm doing and I'll be more of a help to my co-workers. I hate feeling like I'm a burden.

So really my only complaint is that I'm not already great at the job, which is just me being a Type A freak.

The people are very nice. I'm also working with three former co-workers, which is just awesome, too. I had two really good meetings today, which helped to define my job a bit and answered a lot of questions. I'm still a little at the point where I don't even know what questions to ask, much less who to ask and how it all fits into the big picture.

I sound pretty negative, huh? I really do like the job. The company is great and I have real benefits. For example, when I get paid, the company doesn't automatically skim 10% right off the top and put it in their pocket. And I get paid time off. And health insurance that doesn't cost me $400 a month (1/10th that amount, actually). All good things.

So, Jen, that's how the job is going!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm so glad to hear the new job is going well...even if you are frustrated that you don't know EVERYTHING NOW. ;-)

I'm jealous of your benefits...

Jen said...

I WAS waiting on the edge of my seat.... So glad that the job is going well. It sounds like all aspects of the job are much better than those before. Keep your eyes on your mail for a surprise, but make sure you get it before Tim, or it may disappear. Now who is on the edge of their seat?.....

Yankee1969 said...

Well, it's a toss-up as to who'll get the surprise first. I work from home, so if they deliver it to the house, I'll get it. Tara has the key to the mail box, so if they put it there, she'll get it. :)

Glenna said...

Hey, that's really great news! I have to confess I laughed at you, though, about hating "the learning period". Oh holy cow, we are so alike on that one! I HATE the learning part. I dream of skipping ahead a few months too.

And then when you don't get the training you're supposed to get...oh nevermind. I need to not get started on that one!

Congrats again and keep plugging away. It will get to the old hat part soon.

Geggie said...

Congrats on the job! I'm in Minneapolis, it's so nice here. I'll need so recs for dinner soon!