Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful


Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the States!




I have an awful lot to be thankful for this year. I have a job and so does Tim. We have a place to live, food to eat, and we're both healthy. There are so many people who can't say the same.


We had a slightly difficult week, getting two separate pieces of news that kind of rocked our world. Tim's salary got cut due to the weakening economy, and we may need to move out of our house at the end of January. Last week, four of my coworkers were laid off due to the real estate market in Phoenix. I also have a grandfather who has cancer and a father who has shattered his knee. However, as I said, I have a home and food to eat, and a job that I love.


I was reminded this week of just how lucky we are. The Real Gift Foundation is a charity that my company supports and a number of us volunteered to help pack food boxes on Tuesday morning for families to have a Thanksgiving. Well, due to a lack of food and monetary donations, they didn't need volunteers after all, and they were going to have to turn away hundreds of families who want a Thanksgiving dinner. I'm sitting in my house today with a turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, homemade dinner rolls, scalloped corn and onion pie, with apple crisp for dessert. That's for just the two of us. I'm very thankful.


I hope you all take a minute to really think about how lucky you are to have food on the table today, a computer with which to check the internet, a television to watch football, and family/friends to keep you company.
To our families in Minnesota and Maine, Happy Thanksgiving! We miss you and love you!

No comments: