Friday, March 27, 2009

We Interrupt This Hiatus....

I've become a statistic for the second time in a year and will once again be joining the ranks of the unemployed. Unfortunately, the job market is even more bleak than it was last year when I suddenly found myself out of a job. I guess a good thing is that I qualify for unemployment this time and the managers at my company are going to write me letters of recommendation. So, I'm grateful for that. My company has gone through a lot in the past four months - I think I mentioned earlier that I went from having 26 co-workers to having eight. And now they have seven, and soon, they will have five. I found out today two more people are on their way out.


Earlier this week, we arrived at the office to find the doors chained and notes saying "pay your rent". I knew it wasn't a good sign. My division was the one that was going to save the whole company, but some stuff happened this week that made them have to shut it down. The company is going to stick around, but with about 6 employees.

It's not the best timing - I just enrolled in classes to get an accounting degree, so that may have to go on hold. Although, now that I'm not working, maybe I actually qualify for some more financial aid. I still have to pay the bills - rent, car payments, you know, food. And speaking of timing, we're leaving on a week-long vacation in less than a month. At least I know I'll have the time off work.

Last time, I had a lot of good, healthy rage. This time - just sad. I loved my job there and the people I worked with. I'm just very, very sorry I won't be a part of whatever direction they'll be headed next.

3 comments:

Glenna said...

Tara, I'm so sorry. I can't believe this has happened to you twice now. You know what they say: whatever doesn't kill you...but so sorry you have to be tested. I know it's scary since you just enrolled in school BUT look into the financial aid thing becuase, you're right, that actually may work to your favor as far as that goes.

Gee, have you thought about switching to medical? Anything involving hands-on patient care is pretty safe and medical is usually hurting for more RN's, RT's, etc....

Please take care and don't let this get you too down. There will be a light at the end of the tunnel. I can feel it.

lettergirl said...

Tara, I am sorry you are dealing with this AGAIN. No fun at all. I hope you still enjoy that vacation, and have something new soon. =)

Pam Bellemare said...

I'm on Unemployed: Part 3, and I feel for you. If you need to put the wind back in your sails with a little unemployment-related humor, feel free to visit betweenjobstheblog.blogspot.com
Best of luck in your job search!!